Friday, November 14, 2008

I will treat people with RESPECT and dignity

One night, at 11.30 PM, an African American women was standing on the side
of an Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing rainstorm. Her car had
broken down and she desperately needed a ride. Soaking wet, she decided to
flag down the next car.

A young white man stopped to help her, generally unheard of in those
conflict-filled 1960s. The man took her safely, helped her get assistance
and her into a taxi cab. She seemed to be in a big hurry, but wrote down
his address and thanked him.

Seven days went by and a knock came on the man’s door. To his surprise, a
nice bunch of flowers was delivered to his home. A special note was
attached. It read:”Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the
other night. The rain drenched not only my clothes, but also my spirits.
Then you came along. Because of your unbiased respect and care, I was able
to make it to my dying husband’s bedside just before he passed away. God
bless you. Sincerely, Mrs. NatKing Cole.”

No comments: